Where imagination is unleashed
We’ve taken down traditional boundaries and let our imaginations run wild. Well, within reason but we don’t like to focus on the limits of logic too much – it upsets our creative temperament.
- Creative industries are growing faster here than anywhere else in the country. There are over 5,800 creative businesses in Birmingham, such as the virtual world specialists Daden and media production company Maverick Television, employing the creative and digital talents of around 34,000 local people.
- Birmingham Hippodrome is quite simply the busiest and most popular theatre in the UK with over 520,000 visitors taking their seats at performances every year.
- Around 350,000 people experience inspirational and varied musical performances by the world famous City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO) both in the UK and overseas every year. Their Birmingham ticket income is consistently the highest of any UK orchestra and, with Andris Nelsons, the extraordinarily precise, boundlessly enthusiastic and highly sensitive young conductor – the crowds continue to grow.
- Birmingham has more Michelin-starred restaurants than any other English city outside London. With local stars Glynn Purnell, Luke Tipping and Richard Turner flying the flag for the city’s fine dining.
- For over 250 years Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter has been a national epicentre for jewellery design – producing 40% of the UK’s jewellery. Today it’s home to over 400 jewellery businesses – including Crescent Silver who produced the candlesticks for Elton John’s wedding, James Newman, who has created jewellery for Milan-based fashion designer Neil Barrett and the Creative Watch Company, whose designer watches are worn by celebrities including Michael Owen, Kevin Pietersen and Pixie Lott.
- Not only were football referee whistles invented and first manufactured in Birmingham but it’s also where the original FA Cup was made. Tennis’ Davis Cup and the medals for the 2010 Carling League Cup final between Aston Villa and Manchester United were made in the city.